Monday, June 19, 2006

Neighbors and Mothers

I hate my neighbors, at least the people who live downstairs from Himself and I. They play loud music at the worst times, their carpools honk the horn for 20 minutes at 8-something in the morning, and they all stand outside smoking. While I give them props for not smoking near their kids, I am allergic to the smoke and it floats up to meet my nose and makes it hard to breathe. Most of the time I'm not home to deal with them, but when I am home, I don't want to hear the same polka song over and over again! I guess 'hate' is a little too strong of a word to use here. I deeply dislike my neighbors.

I have recently discovered that mothers are terrifying. Not my mother (at least I'm not all that afraid of her, but I do know people who say she is the scariest person in the world. They obviously haven't met the Grand Dame of the Universe), but other mothers. I work in a portrait studio, and we take pictures of people's kids or the whole family. The one line I have been hearing all day today and yesterday was/is 'what do you mean you can't get me in today?!' We were triple booked yesterday, and double booked today, so we couldn't take any walk-ins. Mothers will then play the distance card: 'Well I drove all the way from X city just to have these portraits taken, and I just HAVE to have them today!' We tried to take walk-ins, but we just didn't have the time. The other thing that mothers did this weekend that amazed me was showing up LATE for an appointment, and then getting pissed off that we had to take the ones who were on time first, and the get to the late ones in the order that they showed up. We had one mother yell at one of the managers for 'taking walk-ins before the appointments', then she yelled at the photographer who was taking her pictures, telling her that she shouldn't be a photographer if she couldn't get the kids to sit still for a couple of seconds, or if she couldn't get the picture fast enough. Finally she yelled at the poor girl who was showing the portraits, telling her that if no one could help her in the way she wanted help, then she was never coming back. This woman's kids were monsters too, but that was really no surprise given the example they were being shown.

Himself was really hoping that working with small, screaming children would lessen my want for children, but it has only intensified it. I am also learning how not to act around my children. Himself have very relaxed views on parenting. The boyfriends of the daughters will meet me first, and if I don't like them, I'll let them meet Himself without a warning. If I like them, then I'll warn them about him. I have also learned (although I knew this from past jobs) that if it is the day before any holiday, it is the worst time to try to do anything, and anything that goes wrong isn't always the employee's fault.

Well, that's about all for now, I should get to bed now. I get to learn how to take portraits tomorrow!

M

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I was going to say something about meeting a partiular daughter's boyfriend, but I will refrain...

The things you talk about in your blog are the main reasons I will not/cannot work in retail. Mainly because I wouldn't care if they never came back, and would let them know.

There was a time when people behaved; when manners were not just the norm, adults AND children were expected to mind them. Like I used to tell you and your packmates, "Manners! Find 'em and mind 'em." Maybe that's why we used to get a lot of compliments from people when we took the three of you to restaurants (when you were little). We expected you all to behave well, and you did.

That's just one of the reasons I'm very proud of all of you.

Love,

Mom

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home